Saturday, February 2, 2008

Being Saved-Bright Lights and Stars

Gerald Byron, two great stories. Coach would have loved them. He wore his "funny bone" on his sleeve and it did not take much to set it off. He loved tumbling and I do not know why. Maybe some one in the group can enlighten us.
The story about my sister is probably true, no one in our neighborhood provoked her (I can feel your pain). Did you see my story of the nite she went into the Lexington dressing room and popped the head of the girl who had been guarding her (and holding her) during the BB game. As I said earlier, she probably could have made the football team. Again Gerald great stories of our Coach and great remembrances of times gone by.
Scotty Portis

Scotty: Johnny Radford forward me all of the emails: I read them this afternoon as Susan drove us to mountains. Great memories!!!! I would like to add a couple if you would be kind enough to share with the group:

Like Charles Rhodes, I was a 98 pound weakling (literally) during high school and so my high school extracurricular activity was relegated to beating the bass drum. (Unfortunately, as Mr. Tate quickly learned, I did not have an ounce of rhythm flowing through my veins’ still don’t.) But I vividly remember P.E. under Coach Ward. I particularly remember the tumbling which Coach Ward loved but which I grew to dread. My Waterloo was the two man tumble when one person laid on the floor with his head between other person ankles and his feet were around the neck of the one standing. The one standing – me – was suppose to roll forward. Being athletically challenged, my roll was more like a swan dive forward until the top of my head contacted the gym floor just beyond the mat. I must have been “saved” at the moment that I hit the floor because I definitely saw a bright light and many stars. When I could open my eyes, there was Coach Ward beside me bent over in laughter! Dodge ball was a different exercise but, for me, had the same result. I always ended up on the other side from Ace Forbess, William Lee Smothers and Steve Neal and would get creamed by one of them, either in the head or family jewels, by a volley ball traveling at least 75 mph. While rolling in the floor, I would inevitably look up to see Coach Ward bent over in laughter.

Coach Ward’s laughter was not malicious, however. As others have so eloquently expressed, he cared deeply about his charges and no one was prouder of my Vandy scholarship than Coach Ward. In retrospect, how could one keep from laughing at some of our antics; I laughed out loud several times today. We were, indeed, fortunate to have persons like Coach Ward, Mr. Pudor, Mr. Tate, Miss Anna Pearl, and others, care for us, mentor us and love us.

In closing, I want to vouch for the fact that your beloved sister, Betty Ann, had a mean streak. On Halloween of our senior year, two groups came together in Mayor Watson’s front yard. My group was armed to the hilt with water balloons which we launched toward Betty Ann’s group. My enthusiasm was cut short when a 6 ounce Coke bottle came whizzing by my ear – Betty Ann had won that round.

Thanks again for getting this started.

Gerald

No comments: