Monday, January 28, 2008

Holding his pants ...

From: Bette Robison

To:

Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 10:56 PM

Subject: Coach Ward


scotty...thanks for starting this,,,have loved all the old stories,, really enjoyed the one about Jerry that J. Fortner told,,,,I can remember him running a touchdown on Pudor Field...holding his pants with one hand and the ball with another....didn't ya'll have shoe strings to hold your pants in the "old days? whatever, Jerry's had broken that night../will never forget how Coach Ward would polish shoes with that old wheel thing every Fri. afternoon before pep rallys and try to mend uniforms ,wish more players would share theirs and had a way of knowing about the blog. I'm so glad that I had one last visit with him in the hospital altho it broke my heart to see him in the fragile state he was in....I'm sure he had every nurse in that hospital hopping!! .....is charlie rhodes, david's older brother.... i don't know him, but he is a wonderful story teller!!

From: Scott Portis
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:35 AM
Subject: Fw: Coach Ward

Bette, welcome to the blog and you are the first female to contribute. Coach Ward would be happy, I am sure. I guess "Pee Wee" was running so fast his shoe string just broke. Maybe he was running so fast it caught on fire. I can't tell you how much I enjoy standing out in your mother's back yard and relating old Mustang stories with your husband. Jerry and I just tolerate your brother-in-law Lynn Brandon. By the way he promised us a blog. Be sure to email him and Harriet and get him on the ball. So glad you went by to see Coach before he died. Paul Allen and I were on our way when we got the word that he had died.

Charles is David's brother, and yes he is a great story teller. If you have not read his other stories on life in Huntingdon let me know and I well get you the addresses.

Again, Bette, thanks.

No comments: