Monday, January 28, 2008

Team Physician

Terry, welcome to the blog for Coach Ward. I don't know when we have had more fun in such a sad situation. Coach Ward does not realize it but he continues to walk among us and teach even after he has departed this life. Paul and Bobby have expressed to me on numerous occasions what these contributions have meant to them and their families. I got a very sweet note from Paul Jr.'s daughter, Jill (a teacher herself) in Memphis the other day.

Your story of the 1975 game with Trenton is outstanding and shows the true ability of this remarkable Coach to get "his team" ready for the next "big game". And a premonition that the kicking game could produce a win-wow! As I was back in Huntingdon and very close to this team as the "assistant team physician" under Dr. Atkins (who has dedicated many, many years to the Huntingdon football team), I too remember the hype leading up to the game. Huntingdon was "a buzz" with excitement all week preceding the game. Game day arrived and Dr. Atkins had to be out of town and could not attend the game. This propelled me into the job of "Team Physician"-for this nite anyway. I arrived in Trenton early and very nervous because of the importance of the game (I still get very nervous even today before each Mustang game just like I did when I played-not to the point of vomiting like Steve Barnett-but still nervous) and because of my added responsibility. No sooner had I approached the field house, than one of the managers ran up to me and said come quick as someone had been hurt in the pregame drills and Coach Ward needed me. My knees almost buckled for fear that I was going have to bench one of Coach Ward's important cogs. I don't even remember who the player was and his injury was not that bad (he played).

What a game! As I said in an earlier blog, this was probably the most exciting Mustang win that I ever witnessed with the team being behind in the 4th quarter, then going ahead with the field goal by none other than Todd Hall only a sophomore (Mustangs 15-Golden Tide 13 with the Mustangs scoring a late defensive touchdown to win 22-13). What a game! I don't remember the bash to Coach Ward's head but probably even if it had brought blood, Coach would not have cared at that point.

Again, Terry, thanks for the contribution as your insight added another dimension to a game that is #1 in my book. Your blog did a lot more than just trigger fond memories of a time gone by.
Also, I want to welcome another very special person to the site. None other than one of my very close "girl friends" Miss Melinda Milam Popplewell. Melinda's dad Blake Milam was our head baseball coach (Coach Ward was his assistant) and a very special person to me and the other baseball Mustangs. Coach Milam carried us far, way beyond our collective ability. This man was to baseball what Paul Ward was to football. Every season we won a lot more games than we should have with the talent we had. We were playing Memphis Central (Tim McCarver who was a catcher for the Mets and a left handed pitcher named Guido Grilli) in Memphis once in an important game and Gary Hall one of our pitchers reminded me the other day what Coach Ward and Coach Milam told us before the game "boys, they put their pants on one leg at a time just like you do". Melinda, hope you and Jay enjoy these stories as much as we have.

Again, welcome to all new bloggers to the site. Johnny Radford, the number #1 Mustang sports fan of all time, is feeding me names faster than I can recognize everyone. If I have missed you, sorry. Anyone (like Terry Brewer above) who has a special play, a game, a teammate, a season, or even another sport that eulogizes Coach Ward or someone else, please feel free to share. It will do you good and certainly will do this group good.
Thanks.
Scott Portis
Mustang (1955-1958)

No comments: